Manager, Finance & Accounting
1 week 3 days ago
Reporting to the CEO, this position ensures organizational excellence by leading financial management, including compliance and reporting. The Manager, Finance & Accounting role directly supports accurate accounting practices and effective financial planning and management. They report directly to the CEO and will interact frequently with the Director of Operations and Finance Committee.
Catalyst has a unique organizational and financial structure. In addition to a core operating budget of approximately $1.5M, we are fiscal sponsor to projects (currently five) led by staff and/or volunteers with budgets totaling another $6M. Within these two areas, activities include grantmaking and other projects that require careful tracking of restricted income and expenditures. Revenue comprises membership dues, restricted and general operating grants, and sponsorships; expenses include business operations, salaries, and grantmaking or contracts.
We envision the Manager, Finance & Accounting role as full-time, taking on the full range of day-to-day AP/AR and managing budgets and reporting. We will consider a part-time role for the right individual, who would work extensively with Mission Edge for bookkeeping. Compensation for a part-time role will be adjusted proportionately. Regardless, the individual will be fully integrated into the organization and be fully conversant in all our activities, with the ability and interest to develop mission-enhancing recommendations and strategies alongside the rest of the team.
In partnership with the President/CEO and Director of Operations, manage short- and long-term financial goals and reporting to support the organization’s business plan and financial needs.
Accounting & Budget Management (50%)
- Produce information that is accurate and consistent with generally accepted accounting practices, established internal controls, and financial policies
- Produce monthly reports including P&L, Balance Sheet, Budget to Actuals, TRNA, and cash flow
- Manage accounts receivable and payable including deposits, payments, and invoicing
- Manage intercompany transactions between Catalyst core operations and supported projects
- On request, prepare and advise on grant-related budgets, budget/actual tracking, and reports
- Make timely payments on grants and contracts that Catalyst manages
- Work with staff to research, onboard, and manage financial records for sponsored projects
Financial Management (30%)
- Assist with the organization’s annual budget development process and track the budget throughout the year
- Manage bank and investment accounts and relationships
- In 2023, execute a cash management strategy with CEO & Finance Committee
- Administer twice-monthly payroll and employee benefit payments and reports
- Provide financial monitoring and management support to fiscally sponsored projects
Board and Audit (20%)
- Working with CEO, provide staff support to the Finance and Audit Committees, including regular financial reports with narrative and visual representations
- Support the organization’s annual audit and tax filings and reports
- Evaluate and update the organization’s internal controls and fiscal procedures annually, including insurance needs
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Must have comprehensive understanding of and experience with nonprofit accounting, including tracking and management of restricted funds and grant application budgeting
- Excellent skills in QuickBooks Online and Excel
- Experience producing financial reporting packages
- Ability to represent complex financial information in managerial and board reports, including graphic representations
- Experience preparing tax reports and supporting an audit process for a similar-sized organization
- Able to operate autonomously and also stay connected to organizational activities
- Desire to be part of a collaborative, equity-driven organization that has a learning approach to its work, adapting as community and membership needs evolve
- Strong connection to communities in San Diego and/or Imperial Counties
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Related Practices
Catalyst requires that all staff members be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and its variants, including any boosters recommended by the FDA and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Proof of vaccinations must be provided. An individual is considered fully vaccinated 14 days after receiving the final dose, as recommended by the manufacturer, of a vaccine that has been authorized by the FSA for use in the United States or by the World Health Organization. Catalyst will waive its vaccination requirements, including recommended boosters, for religious or medical reasons.
Staff are currently using a hybrid work model, with the office open Monday-Friday for voluntary use. All full-time staff work from the office on Wednesdays.
Salary & Benefits
Compensation for a full-time position is $65,000-70,000 with benefits that include health, dental, vision insurance; 5% contribution to a 403(b) retirement fund; paid vacation and sick leave, and office closure between December 25-January 1. Compensation for a part-time role is the pro-rated equivalent salary; benefits vary depending on hours worked.
Equal Opportunity Hiring Statement
Catalyst of San Diego & Imperial Counties values a staff that includes perspectives from the diverse population of our region and the organization provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military.
How to Apply
Please provide a summary of your interest and relevant experience/qualifications in your preferred format. (We encourage you to use materials you have used to apply to other positions if they are applicable to this position.) Catalyst will begin reviewing responses on immediately with the goal of extending an offer of employment by April 15, 2023.
To discuss the position or ask any questions you have, contact Megan Thomas, email@example.com. Please send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.